Do Your Part: Save an Immigrant from Being Deported

Sophie B., Reporter/ Editor

The impending immigration question never ceases to surface. Some of these refugees manage to make it to Sweden, but it is quite devastating that once they arrive, they live in fear of being deported. Masoud is one of these people. He is 17 years old, born in Afghanistan but has lived in Iran almost his entire life. He currently goes to a Swedish school at Sjödalsgymnasium in Huddinge, trying his best to learn the language, and making steady progress.

He, along with his entire family, managed to escape threats and violence from their unknown aggressors in Afghanistan, but the immigration department of Sweden has deemed their situation in Afghanistan not serious enough for them to stay here as refugees. Masoud just recently found out that the immigration department has decided upon their deportation, and is devastated. He told me that neither he nor his family wish to return to the perpetual fear of knowing that there are people in Afghanistan who wish to harm his family. As they have lived in Iran for most of their lives, Masoud’s family does not have a life waiting for them in Afghanistan and finds it difficult to imagine the transformation they will have to go through, not to mention the brutality present there. 

The only way to prevent being deported is if 2 people from  his family find a job… quickly. As he is 17, Masoud is not allowed to work without proper ID from either Afghanistan or Iran. But, Masoud has neither. The only hope lies with his 23 year-old sister Shahla, his father Khaje Mohammad or his mother Lejla. His father works well with flowers and gardens while his mother is handy in cleaning. His sister Shahla has previously worked as a dental nurse, but knows limited Swedish. Both of his parents and his sister have working permits in Sweden; the issue is just to find a job that requires limited knowledge of Swedish. Both his mother and father are taking Swedish courses to learn the language, but it is, naturally, difficult and time consuming. Time is of the essence for Masoud and his family.

5 Immigrants Getting Ready to Learn Swedish from SIS Students

Every Thursday three 11th grade students work with Masoud and 4 other immigrants/refugees between the age of 16 and 18 to help them learn them Swedish. Please take part in this fight for global equality, and help Masoud’s sister or parents find a job. Any job will suffice for them for the time being, as long as they are not deported from our country: a country that believes in equality and safety. No one should have to live a life in constant fear, in constant presence of violence. Do your part in society, and help save the lives of Masoud and his family. If you have any tips about work please contact Ms Smith at [email protected] and she will pass the information onto the family.