The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Learning One of the Hardest Languages: A Basic Guide to Japanese
Selin T., Reporter

In honour of the Language of the Moment: showcasing Japanese, I wanted to come forth as a Japanese learner and offer insights from my journey...

Language of the Moment - Japanese
Language of the Moment - Japanese
Sara A., Reporter

I am sure by now you have seen the various posters and displays throughout the school showcasing Japanese culture, and you might be wondering...

Women in STEM - Part 3 - Dr Saha
Women in STEM - Part 3 - Dr Saha
Naz T. and Irene F.

To clone organisms, travel the world for your work and explore the minute details of life may sound like the plot of an adventurous science fiction...

Kiki’s Delivery Service: A Japanese Animation in Sweden
Selin T., Reporter

Kiki’s Delivery Service is a heartwarming animated movie that was released in 1989 by one of Japan’s biggest animation studios, Studio Ghibli....

Record Store Day 2024
Record Store Day 2024
Juliette D., Reporter

This coming Saturday (April 20th), Record Store Day is being celebrated in independent record stores worldwide. Although this celebration has...

Sweden’s NATO Bid: Navigating the Turkish Challenge

The QQ reporter, Carolina L. takes on the continuing dispute with Turkey over Sweden NATO membership. Read her insightful analysis.

In February of 2022, Vladimir Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, shattering the long-standing sense of stability that had reigned in Northern Europe for years. Sweden, feeling vulnerable, applied for a NATO membership. 

Even so, although Sweden is not officially a member of NATO, they have been significant contributors to the alliance. They have taken part in several NATO missions since the end of the Cold War and closely cooperated with the alliance. It is because of the recent invasion that Sweden has dropped its long-held policies of military non-alignment. This is so that they can, for the first time, have security guarantees from nuclear states under NATO’s Article 5. This article views the attack on one member state as an attack on all, and will thus protect Sweden from any potential attacks. 

However, the Turkish parliament has not yet approved Sweden’s membership. Hungary has followed Turkey’s lead and has not given their approval either. Turkey says Stockholm harbors members of what it considers terrorist groups and also believes that the recent burnings of the Koran are a form of hate crime. Sweden states that the protests – during which the Koran was burned – are covered by freedom of speech laws. 

Meanwhile, Hungary bears ill towards Swedish criticism of Prime Minister Viktor Orban over the perceived erosion of the rule of law – erosion which Orban has denied. 

So, will Sweden be accepted into the NATO alliance? It is very likely that Sweden will become a member of NATO, as it has met every challenge and requirement, but Turkey’s opposition still remains a problem. Until Sweden either meets Turkey’s demands or Turkey itself backs down – as it has done with previous run-ins with NATO allies – the issue will remain at a stalemate.