The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Record Store Day 2024
Record Store Day 2024
Juliette D., Reporter

This coming Saturday (April 20th), Record Store Day is being celebrated in independent record stores worldwide. Although this celebration has...

Lorenzo
An Accomplished Array of Art at the House's Exhibition
Juliette D., Reporter

An Art Exhibition was hosted at Norra Latin by the house system in collaboration with the Arts department to showcase SIS’s incredible array...

Women in STEM - part 2 - Mrs Jain
Women in STEM - part 2 - Mrs Jain
Naz T. and Irene F.

Mrs Jain has always had an affinity for mathematics and sciences, particularly because of her exposure to chemistry and maths through her father,...

Spidermen
Battle of the Spidermen
Emry P., Editor/Reporter

Garfield? Maguire? Holland? Or Moore? Across 10 Spiderman films, including one nostalgic crossover introducing the multiverse packed with Tobey...

Photo Comp Poster
Jumping into Spring Photo Comp
Noémie L, Competition Editor

Is it just me or are we starting to see light again in the streets of Stockholm? Lately the days have started getting longer, even the first...

Sweden’s NATO Bid: Navigating the Turkish Challenge

The QQ reporter, Carolina L. takes on the continuing dispute with Turkey over Sweden NATO membership. Read her insightful analysis.

In February of 2022, Vladimir Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, shattering the long-standing sense of stability that had reigned in Northern Europe for years. Sweden, feeling vulnerable, applied for a NATO membership. 

Even so, although Sweden is not officially a member of NATO, they have been significant contributors to the alliance. They have taken part in several NATO missions since the end of the Cold War and closely cooperated with the alliance. It is because of the recent invasion that Sweden has dropped its long-held policies of military non-alignment. This is so that they can, for the first time, have security guarantees from nuclear states under NATO’s Article 5. This article views the attack on one member state as an attack on all, and will thus protect Sweden from any potential attacks. 

However, the Turkish parliament has not yet approved Sweden’s membership. Hungary has followed Turkey’s lead and has not given their approval either. Turkey says Stockholm harbors members of what it considers terrorist groups and also believes that the recent burnings of the Koran are a form of hate crime. Sweden states that the protests – during which the Koran was burned – are covered by freedom of speech laws. 

Meanwhile, Hungary bears ill towards Swedish criticism of Prime Minister Viktor Orban over the perceived erosion of the rule of law – erosion which Orban has denied. 

So, will Sweden be accepted into the NATO alliance? It is very likely that Sweden will become a member of NATO, as it has met every challenge and requirement, but Turkey’s opposition still remains a problem. Until Sweden either meets Turkey’s demands or Turkey itself backs down – as it has done with previous run-ins with NATO allies – the issue will remain at a stalemate.