The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Goodbyes and see you laters
Goodbyes and see you laters
Gioia S., Editor-in-chief

In Sweden, it is tradition that the graduating class dresses in white and leaves the school’s doors one last time to commemorate the end...

Impressive End to the Personal Project
Impressive End to the Personal Project
Gioia S. and Bruno R.

This year’s Grade 10 cohort was described as “special” by Miss Gonzalez, coordinator of the personal project at SIS, as it was the...

Inspirational Poetry - The Game Cartridge

The Game Cartridge Inspired by 'Woman Work' by Maya Angelou   The bits to load  The pins to connect, A plastic case,  To guard,...

Grade 11 Take Over at the Irish Embassy !
Gioia S. and David L.

On the 16th of May, some students in Grade 11 took part in a visit to the Irish Embassy in Sweden. This amazing opportunity, presented by Miss...

Euro 2024 - Everything You Need To Know About
Bruno R., Reporter

Cities and Stadiums Throughout the first half of the school holiday, between June 14 and July 14, 24 countries will play across 10 stadiums...

Bah Humbug!

The Christmas Carol: An international tradition for all ages. Christmas might be over for now, but Gioia S. writes about this performance that returns to Stockholm every year. Put it in your calendar for December 2024!
Bah+Humbug%21
Gioia S.

A tradition in the Victorian age in England, around Christmas time, was to tell ghost stories around the fireplace. This was probably due to the eeriness in the air due to the prolonged dark period of the winter solstice.  This gave rise to many of the classics we study in English class like “The Canterville ghost”, “Between the Lights” or the famous “A Christmas Carol”. 

In December, the Folkoperan, in Södermalm, hosted a production of A Christmas Carol. If the title doesn’t sound familiar to you, the main character, Mr Scrooge, definitely will be. A stingy old man who is reminded, with the help of three ghosts, the ghost of the Christmas past, present and yet to come, what Christmas is actually about. 

Even though the weather was very bad outside, the mood inside the theatre was very homely and familiar, with young children flooding the tiny corridors of the theatre. Throughout the play, the actors were all able to showcase their singing, as it was full of Christmas carols (pun not intended), like We Wish You a Merry Christmas or The Twelve Days of Christmas, which was cut short as it was too long for a 2 and a half hour play. 

The performance was enjoyable and all the actors were exceptionally good, though Ben Higgins, who portrayed the narrator and Fred, really stood out. 

Keith Lynch’s performance of Mr Fezziwig was the most humorous, even though Mr Scrooge himself was also portrayed in a playful way, with his catch phrase being: Bah- Humbug! My favourite part of the play definitely has to be the costumes for the three ghosts, as they resembled something I can only describe as: a birthday candle, a Christmas tree and Slenderman.

Even though the theatre was quite small, the production was full of special effects, like sudden lights, reverb, and playback. All this was conducted by Harold Lindell, the musician. This added an ominous atmosphere and a touch of magic. 

If you weren’t able to catch it this year, you are in luck, as it is a Christmas production that plays every year around December, so you can mark your calendars a year early and take your family along.