The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Undersecretary Generals Reflect on SISMUN 2024
Selin T. and Sreelehya M.

David N. David has been a part of MUN since 8th grade when he first joined this school. He decided to aim for a position as a board member...

How does it feel to be multilingual?
How does it feel to be multilingual?
Sara A., Reporter

Qu'est-ce que ça fait d'être multilingue ? Personnellement, je suis Marocaine, mais j’ai grandi dans le système scolaire français, mais...

Reporters Bruno R. and Laura Z.
Multingualism Rules
Bruno R. and Laura Z.

The fleeting sun - the final winner (Captured by Lina (10C))
We finally have a winner for the QQ Photo Comp!
Noémie Littfass, PR

Congratulations to Lina (10C), for her picture capturing the magnificent ‘Fleeting Sun’. Her photograph truly caught the attention of many...

Kinship through Multilingualism
Kinship through Multilingualism
Noah R., Reporter

French Parler plusieurs langues différentes me permet de faire plusieurs choses. Premièrement, cela me permet de me sentir plus à l'aise...

Bah Humbug!

The Christmas Carol: An international tradition for all ages. Christmas might be over for now, but Gioia S. writes about this performance that returns to Stockholm every year. Put it in your calendar for December 2024!
Bah+Humbug%21
Gioia S.

A tradition in the Victorian age in England, around Christmas time, was to tell ghost stories around the fireplace. This was probably due to the eeriness in the air due to the prolonged dark period of the winter solstice.  This gave rise to many of the classics we study in English class like “The Canterville ghost”, “Between the Lights” or the famous “A Christmas Carol”. 

In December, the Folkoperan, in Södermalm, hosted a production of A Christmas Carol. If the title doesn’t sound familiar to you, the main character, Mr Scrooge, definitely will be. A stingy old man who is reminded, with the help of three ghosts, the ghost of the Christmas past, present and yet to come, what Christmas is actually about. 

Even though the weather was very bad outside, the mood inside the theatre was very homely and familiar, with young children flooding the tiny corridors of the theatre. Throughout the play, the actors were all able to showcase their singing, as it was full of Christmas carols (pun not intended), like We Wish You a Merry Christmas or The Twelve Days of Christmas, which was cut short as it was too long for a 2 and a half hour play. 

The performance was enjoyable and all the actors were exceptionally good, though Ben Higgins, who portrayed the narrator and Fred, really stood out. 

Keith Lynch’s performance of Mr Fezziwig was the most humorous, even though Mr Scrooge himself was also portrayed in a playful way, with his catch phrase being: Bah- Humbug! My favourite part of the play definitely has to be the costumes for the three ghosts, as they resembled something I can only describe as: a birthday candle, a Christmas tree and Slenderman.

Even though the theatre was quite small, the production was full of special effects, like sudden lights, reverb, and playback. All this was conducted by Harold Lindell, the musician. This added an ominous atmosphere and a touch of magic. 

If you weren’t able to catch it this year, you are in luck, as it is a Christmas production that plays every year around December, so you can mark your calendars a year early and take your family along.