The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Undersecretary Generals Reflect on SISMUN 2024
Selin T. and Sreelehya M.

David N. David has been a part of MUN since 8th grade when he first joined this school. He decided to aim for a position as a board member...

How does it feel to be multilingual?
How does it feel to be multilingual?
Sara A., Reporter

Qu'est-ce que ça fait d'être multilingue ? Personnellement, je suis Marocaine, mais j’ai grandi dans le système scolaire français, mais...

Reporters Bruno R. and Laura Z.
Multingualism Rules
Bruno R. and Laura Z.

The fleeting sun - the final winner (Captured by Lina (10C))
We finally have a winner for the QQ Photo Comp!
Noémie Littfass, PR

Congratulations to Lina (10C), for her picture capturing the magnificent ‘Fleeting Sun’. Her photograph truly caught the attention of many...

Kinship through Multilingualism
Kinship through Multilingualism
Noah R., Reporter

French Parler plusieurs langues différentes me permet de faire plusieurs choses. Premièrement, cela me permet de me sentir plus à l'aise...

The Music Industry: Artists’ Lives and Deaths

After watching a variety of documentaries about artists from the 80s to today, QQ reporter Juliette D. has reviewed the most memorable ones; ‘John Lennon: Murder Without A Trial’ and ‘Robbie Williams’.
Juliette D.

John Lennon: Murder Without A Trial 

Murder Without a Trial is a 3-episode series on Apple TV+ disclosing details about Beatles singer and political activist John Lennon’s death. From the motive to the connection with former President Reagan’s attempted murder, plenty is left unknown and debated. The most lucid example is the disagreement between the prosecutor and lawyer, which never resulted in any conclusion because there was no trial.  Lennon’s murderer never went to court. 

I would recommend this show to anyone interested in crime documentaries or pop culture. My only criticism is that it seemed positively biased towards the defendant’s point of view. Because it is based on a mystery, it has no closure which I found frustrating. However, I do believe that the sudden end and this insinuated frustration were intentionally created to reflect the anger of the world when the first Beatle passed. John Lennon’s death is still considered the most infamous artist assassination of all time.

Robbie Williams

Netflix has a large collection of documentaries consisting of a cameraman following an artist around on tour, the studio, home, etc. These are interesting as they allow viewers to get an insight into writing processes, the relationship with their fans, daily struggles, and much more. However, I do find that they can be restrictive in the sense that they are rarely objective and only focus on a short period in an artist’s life. It is for these reasons that I think Robbie Williams’ documentary is one of the best. 

The pop star is seen watching and reacting to three decades worth of his life on film, from when he joined the British band ‘Take That’ to today with a wife and four kids. Looking back at his life he can reflect on everything he’s been through, drug addiction, depression, and defamation. At the same time, we can see the footage he is reacting to in which the younger Williams had opened up and shared so much. This documentary has a lot of value in showing the small impacts fame has on individuals at their peak of fame as well as its long-term psychological effects. 

Women in the music industry

The documentaries I find the most insightful to women in the music industry were Gaga: Five Foot Two and Miss Americana on Netflix, and Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry and Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me on Apple TV +. All four of these artists are open about their experiences with how they are treated in the music industry and their need to reinvent themselves whilst sharing their writing and production processes.