Snow Day for Stockholm!

Elena D., Reporter/Editor

Although the snow has melted now, that wasn’t the case the other week. On a Wednesday, Stockholm woke up to its snowiest November day in 111 years. This resulted in many complications, from taking students hours to get to school to the senior soccer teams nearly missing their flight to Switzerland.

Thursday morning, Stockholm was covered by approximately 39 cm of snow, making it extremely difficult for commuters to get around. This led to school cancellation for the day, which most students didn’t seem to mind!

Here are some of the stories shared by students about their snow day experiences:

“When trying to get out of our driveway, the snow plough pushed all of the snow from the road behind our car, so we had to dig ourselves out. Even after that, it was still super hard to get out and took us at least 20 minutes.” Olyvia P.

“On the way to school, there was snow everywhere, and we had to help people get theirs cars out. Later in the day, they announced that everyone had to go home from school as soon as possible because of the snow. It took me 3 hours to get home. When I went to wait for my train, none of them were working because there was no electricity because of the cold. I walked to the city with my brothers to meet up with some family friends – my mom was waiting there with her car. Driving home, we got stuck on the road 2 or 3 times, so my brother Marko and I had to push the car.”  Jovana P.

“I stayed at home because the trains weren’t working at all and the bus would have taken 3 hours.” Sven S.

“When we were all in class, my mum called to tell me that all of the busses had been cancelled. She told me that I had to leave early to go pick up my brother and try to catch one – we live in Lidingö so it’s a bit far from the school. We were able to get to Ropsten, but after waiting for about 20 minutes we realized that there were no busses or taxis coming. We had to walk from Ropsten to our house, which took us an hour and a half with all the snow.”  Isabelle R.

This was definitely an unexpected surprise to Stockholm, but thankfully we have all recovered. It is forecasted that this will be an extremely cold winter, so stay tuned for more winter stories!