The Quirky Quibbler

Talent is Nothing without Dedication

“Whiplash”, a brilliant and stimulating music drama by the the young director Damien Chazelle, is about the demanding and unscrupulous music industry in New York. It is obvious that the main theme is motivation, dedication and persistence. The story is told through the eyes of the protagonist, Andrew (Miles Teller).

Andrew is a 19 year old boy living in New York. His main passion in life is drums, and he is therefore attending the prestigious school, Schaffer Conservatory of Music in New York City. Talented and hardworking, Andrew got picked to the music school by the impassive and strict conductor Terence Fletcher (Jonathan Kimble “J. K.” Simmons). Although Andrew is a handpicked student, he experiences anything but special treatment. The Conductor does everything in his power to break down Andrew, and make him understand that talent is nothing unless he works extremely hard. Andrew is therefore rejected from the band, in favour for another drummer.

K. Simmons does an outstanding job, playing the conductor Terence Fletcher. He represents toughness as well as perfection. Pushed by Fletcher’s reckless behaviour, Andrew practices day and night without rest, until his fingers are bleeding. Drumming becomes something much bigger than just “music” for Andrew. It is basically his whole life, and one of the only things that has any significance for him. Anything that might be an obstacle for success is eliminated, even though it might be the love of his life.

This is a perfect movie for anyone fighting for something in their life, who is in need for motivational influence. It might be a dream you have been chasing your whole life or just an assessment you have been struggling with. Watching and analysing the film makes you realise that there is no short cuts to success, just hard work, commitment, dedication and above all sacrifices. If the sacrifices you make are the love of your life or just a donut, is yours choice. Simultaneously this is a phenomenal piece of work for the classic music lover, since it offers wonderful features of jazz. Occasionally the elements of classical music might be a little elongated for someone who isn’t a devotee of it. In conclusion this movie contains all the ingredients that I’m looking for a in a great movie, it is not only entertaining, grievous and exhilarating, but extremely unique as well, and I will therefore give it 5 of 5 stars.

William Antell is an independent film expert and critic, living in Stockholm. The young critic is originally from Finland but has spent most of his life abroad in Chile, Denmark and Sweden. William graduated from Engelbrektsskolan in 2016 and is now attending Stockholm International School. William is planning to take his film criticism to a new level by attending the prestigious film university, American Film Institute.