Seasonal Affective Disorder: What to Know

Ayleen C., Reporter

A chill seems to linger in the air these days, paired with gradually lengthening nights. Winter is coming, and with it, biting cold and seemingly never-ending darkness.

These depressive wintertime conditions may induce a state called seasonal affective disorder, or S.A.D. Some at SIS may not experience it, like tenth grader Erik-Christopher B., “I’ve never been affected by it.”

However, S.A.D. is still a relevant condition. It affects people at random, native and non-native residents of Sweden alike.

“It can be basically anybody, really. It pretty much depends on you as a person,” says Ms. Wegdell, the secondary school counsellor.

Symptoms include lack of energy, irritability, or excessive eating. When asked when S.A.D. usually begins to take place, Ms. Wegdell replied, “I start noticing that students will start talking about feeling some of these symptoms about now. Around October.”

There are ways to combat seasonal affective disorder, the greatest of which is to resist the symptoms you feel. Refuse your inclination to stay in bed a while longer in the mornings, or eat less junk and more healthy foods. Be open about what you’re feeling, and talk to friends, family, or teachers for help. S.A.D. is not a permanent condition, and can vary in length from person to person.

There’s certainly a silver lining in the Swedish winter scene. Sakiko S. in tenth grade tells, “Swedish winter does become a perfect excuse for you to stay at home all day to Netflix and chill.”

As for winter blues, “I think that planning a visit to a cozy cafe with your friends is the best way to get out of winter sluggishness.”

Bundle up for this coming season, and if you are experiencing S.A.D., talk about it with people who are close. Winter doesn’t last forever, and the sun will shine again!