The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Language of the Moment - Japanese
Language of the Moment - Japanese
Sara A., Reporter

I am sure by now you have seen the various posters and displays throughout the school showcasing Japanese culture, and you might be wondering...

Women in STEM - Part 3 - Dr Saha
Women in STEM - Part 3 - Dr Saha
Naz T. and Irene F.

To clone organisms, travel the world for your work and explore the minute details of life may sound like the plot of an adventurous science fiction...

Kiki’s Delivery Service: A Japanese Animation in Sweden
Selin T., Reporter

Kiki’s Delivery Service is a heartwarming animated movie that was released in 1989 by one of Japan’s biggest animation studios, Studio Ghibli....

Record Store Day 2024
Record Store Day 2024
Juliette D., Reporter

This coming Saturday (April 20th), Record Store Day is being celebrated in independent record stores worldwide. Although this celebration has...

Lorenzo
An Accomplished Array of Art at the House's Exhibition
Juliette D., Reporter

An Art Exhibition was hosted at Norra Latin by the house system in collaboration with the Arts department to showcase SIS’s incredible array...

The Return of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory!

Sara A.
Wonka Movie Display

In December, the new film Wonka was finally released and out in cinemas here in Sweden. This movie was directed by Paul King and produced by David Heyman, Alexandra Derbyshire, and Luke Kelly. Starring Timothée Chalamet as Willy Wonka, the main lead in the movie. 

Wonka is a prequel to the original 1971 film starring Gene Wilder, which dives deep into the origin story behind the famous chocolate factory. The film focuses on the past of the main character, Willy Wonka, in the early days of his chocolate-making career, before he became famous. 

The film’s use of iconic songs from previous movies such as “Pure Imagination” and “Oompa Loompa” song created a nostalgic feeling to the movie. Its attention to detail in the design of the costumes, the props, and the set pieced everything together.

I really enjoyed the movie, particularly for its captivating choreography during the dance sequences and the introduction of intriguing new characters. What stood out to me most was the film’s ability to keep me on the edge of my seat; I found myself eagerly wanting to discover more of the plot. I also loved the comedic and witty dialogue between the characters.

This movie marks the third live-action film to be based on Roald Dahl’s famous novel, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, following previous movies such as Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, released in 1971 and 2005, respectively.

Timothée Chalamet was even nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy and the movie also received two Critics’ Choice Award nominations for Best Young Actor/Actress for Calah Lane, who played the role of a supporting character called Noodle, and an award for Costume Design as well.