The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Language of the Moment - Japanese
Language of the Moment - Japanese
Sara A., Reporter

I am sure by now you have seen the various posters and displays throughout the school showcasing Japanese culture, and you might be wondering...

Women in STEM - Part 3 - Dr Saha
Women in STEM - Part 3 - Dr Saha
Naz T. and Irene F.

To clone organisms, travel the world for your work and explore the minute details of life may sound like the plot of an adventurous science fiction...

Kiki’s Delivery Service: A Japanese Animation in Sweden
Selin T., Reporter

Kiki’s Delivery Service is a heartwarming animated movie that was released in 1989 by one of Japan’s biggest animation studios, Studio Ghibli....

Record Store Day 2024
Record Store Day 2024
Juliette D., Reporter

This coming Saturday (April 20th), Record Store Day is being celebrated in independent record stores worldwide. Although this celebration has...

Lorenzo
An Accomplished Array of Art at the House's Exhibition
Juliette D., Reporter

An Art Exhibition was hosted at Norra Latin by the house system in collaboration with the Arts department to showcase SIS’s incredible array...

Indiana Jones: Dial of ‘Disaster’

Did you see the new Indiana film in the summer? QQ reporter, Emry P, presents her opinion of the latest Indiana film.
2023+Indiana+Jones+Dial+of+Destiny+Bus+Billboard+by+Brecht+Bug+Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs+2.0+Generic+
“2023 Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny Bus Billboard” by Brecht Bug Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic

In the summer of ‘23, Harrison Ford starred as the iconic character, Indiana Jones, in Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, 15 years after he first appeared in the franchise as the daring archaeologist. Forced out of retirement Indiana Jones must chase his annoyingly ambitious god-daughter,  who sets out to finish her deceased father’s time-altering discovery.

With developments in CGI, this movie opens with a “de-aged” Indiana Jones fighting off Nazis for a coveted dial. The uncanny movements of the de-aged Ford create confusion as his face and movement look closer to an animation than anything realistic. 

However, beginnings aren’t the only part of a movie. You have a middle and an end. With beloved characters like Sallah and Marion Ravenwood, making a reappearance  and several references to iconic Indiana Jones movies, there is a lot to love about the movie. That is, after you spend a whole day binge-watching the other films.

Similarly to many other organizations owned by Disney, Dial of Destiny introduces another generation of reckless and intelligent people to carry the franchise on past Indiana Jones, with Helena Shaw (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) as Indiana’s obnoxious god-daughter and her teen accomplice Teddy Kumar (Ethan Isidore). Throughout the movie, Helena constantly tries to outsmart Indiana. With no morals, she is an unempowering and generally unlikable character. Rather than creating closure for the generation who grew up with Indiana Jones movies, they introduce another generation to maintain the franchise.

Despite complications with the  CGI and more focus on future generations, Indiana Jones has a beautiful message about life’s purpose. Indiana Jones who spent his life studying history finally got to see it play out. Sharing an inspiring message to spend your life doing what you love and to keep seeking adventure, no matter your age.