The student news site of Stockholm International School

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

The Quirky Quibbler

Undersecretary Generals Reflect on SISMUN 2024
Selin T. and Sreelehya M.

David N. David has been a part of MUN since 8th grade when he first joined this school. He decided to aim for a position as a board member...

How does it feel to be multilingual?
How does it feel to be multilingual?
Sara A., Reporter

Qu'est-ce que ça fait d'être multilingue ? Personnellement, je suis Marocaine, mais j’ai grandi dans le système scolaire français, mais...

Reporters Bruno R. and Laura Z.
Multingualism Rules
Bruno R. and Laura Z.

The fleeting sun - the final winner (Captured by Lina (10C))
We finally have a winner for the QQ Photo Comp!
Noémie Littfass, PR

Congratulations to Lina (10C), for her picture capturing the magnificent ‘Fleeting Sun’. Her photograph truly caught the attention of many...

Kinship through Multilingualism
Kinship through Multilingualism
Noah R., Reporter

French Parler plusieurs langues différentes me permet de faire plusieurs choses. Premièrement, cela me permet de me sentir plus à l'aise...

Indiana Jones: Dial of ‘Disaster’

Did you see the new Indiana film in the summer? QQ reporter, Emry P, presents her opinion of the latest Indiana film.
2023+Indiana+Jones+Dial+of+Destiny+Bus+Billboard+by+Brecht+Bug+Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs+2.0+Generic+
“2023 Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny Bus Billboard” by Brecht Bug Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic

In the summer of ‘23, Harrison Ford starred as the iconic character, Indiana Jones, in Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, 15 years after he first appeared in the franchise as the daring archaeologist. Forced out of retirement Indiana Jones must chase his annoyingly ambitious god-daughter,  who sets out to finish her deceased father’s time-altering discovery.

With developments in CGI, this movie opens with a “de-aged” Indiana Jones fighting off Nazis for a coveted dial. The uncanny movements of the de-aged Ford create confusion as his face and movement look closer to an animation than anything realistic. 

However, beginnings aren’t the only part of a movie. You have a middle and an end. With beloved characters like Sallah and Marion Ravenwood, making a reappearance  and several references to iconic Indiana Jones movies, there is a lot to love about the movie. That is, after you spend a whole day binge-watching the other films.

Similarly to many other organizations owned by Disney, Dial of Destiny introduces another generation of reckless and intelligent people to carry the franchise on past Indiana Jones, with Helena Shaw (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) as Indiana’s obnoxious god-daughter and her teen accomplice Teddy Kumar (Ethan Isidore). Throughout the movie, Helena constantly tries to outsmart Indiana. With no morals, she is an unempowering and generally unlikable character. Rather than creating closure for the generation who grew up with Indiana Jones movies, they introduce another generation to maintain the franchise.

Despite complications with the  CGI and more focus on future generations, Indiana Jones has a beautiful message about life’s purpose. Indiana Jones who spent his life studying history finally got to see it play out. Sharing an inspiring message to spend your life doing what you love and to keep seeking adventure, no matter your age.